Saturday, September 4, 2010

Melon de Bourgogne and Muller Thurgau

Two white grapes, Melon de Bourgogne and Muller Thurgau round out my "M" grapes. Melon de Bourgogne (meh-lohn du boor-GAWN-yuh) ( I love saying this grape) is widely planted in the Pays Nantais region of France's Loire Valley where it is also known as Muscadet. I sipped this grape in a bottle of Chateau l'Oiselinere de la Ramee 2009 which I found at La Cave in Dallas. Its creamy, soft flavors with a hint of citrus made this the perfect picnic wine for an evening of jazz in the park.

Muller Thurgau (MEW-luhr TOOR-gow) is one of the most widely cultivated grapes in Germany and also enjoys popularity in Austria, Switzerland, England, New Zealand and the northern mountain regions of Italy. I enjoyed the grape in a bottle of Ritratti Muller Thurgau 2007 that I found at Central Market. The wine had a light minerality with notes of apples and lemons and is another great patio wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment