Saturday, April 10, 2010

Bonarda and Bourboulenc

Another trip to Jimmy's ( http://www.jimmysfoodstore.com/) and with the assistance of Alfonso, I purchased a bottle of Marchese Adorno Oltreò Pavese Bonarda with the grape Bonarda. This Italian red wine had an aroma of dark cherries, was slightly effervescent and reminded my niece, Devon of bubbly cherry Robitussin poprocks. Devon and Meredith, who joined me in tasting the wine, both agreed with the description on the back of the label-"Vigorous Personality"!

The next grape variety in our tasting was Bourboulenc (boor-boo-LAHNK), an important white grape of Côtes du Rhône, France. We explored this grape in a 2008 La Vieille Ferme white wine that is a blend of Grenache Blanc, Bourboulenc, Ugni Blanc and Roussanne grapes. I was pleasantly surprised at the great value of this light, fruity and "easy to drink" wine, less than $8.00. Dinner was a hit as I paired the wine with a whole chicken, fresh herbs and vegetables baked in a Romertopf clay pot. How wonderful to be able to taste one wine and cross off 4 grape varieties from my A-Z list.

No comments:

Post a Comment