Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tannat, Tinta Barroca, Torrontes and Trebbiano

It's amazing sipping through the alphabet how many grapes begin with the letter "T". Even though I only explored 4, I am anxious to return to my list and try the other 7. The four "T" grapes that I chose to taste were two reds and two whites. I tried a bottle of Don Rodolfo Vina Costas Tannat 2007 from Argentina with the highly tannic black-berried red grape Tannat.


The second red grape on my sipping list was Tinta Barroca in a bottle of Mural Douro Red Wine 2004 that I found at Central Market. The wine was a blend of 45% Tinta Roriz, 30% Touoriga Fanca grape and 25% Tinta Barroca, all Portugese red grapes.

Torrontes, a white wine grape that has been described by Eric Asimov of the New York Times,
"Torrontes has been touted as the hottest thing to arrive from Argentina since the tango", a fruity, floral and highly aromatic wine. I enjoyed this grape in a bottle of Crios de Susana Balboa 2009 Torrontes.

My final white wine was La Vielle Ferme 2008 Cotes Du Luberon Blanc with the white grape Trebbiano. The grape is called Trebbiano in both Argentina and Italy, Ugni Blanc in France, White Hermitage in Australia and Thalia in both Bulgaria and Portugal.

Now that I have finished the "T" grapes I only have the "U", "V", "W", "X", and "Z" left to taste!






No comments:

Post a Comment