Monday, November 15, 2010

X and Z! Where's the Y?

I only have 2 letters left, "X" and "Z" as there aren't any grapes on my list that begin with the letter "Y". I wonder "why"? I'm too close to the finish to worry about "Y" grapes..perhaps on my next 100.

Xarel-Lo is a white grape variety blended with Macabeo and Parellada in the Spanish sparkling wine Cava. For this wine, I shared a bottle of 2008 Cava Mistinguett with my wine buddies, Steve and Virginia. Great wine and even greater friends~

Now for end of this adventure, two "Z" grapes, Zinfandel and Zweigelt. The red grape Zinfandel produces some very powerful red wines with high levels of alcohol. Zinfandel is also called Primitivo in the Italian "heel" region. The wine that I explored this grape in was a bottle of Ridge Zinfandel Pagani Ranch 2006 from Sonoma. This was an earthy, spicy blend of 88% Zinfandel, 3% Petite Sirah and 2% Carignan. This yummy bottle of wine was shared over a delicous dinner with my friends, Julie and Hal. Waiting for the next invite~

My final 100th grape was Zweigelt, ( also known as Rotburger) the most popular red grape variety in Austria. The wine which featured this grape was a 2008 Berger Zweigelt, a dry, red table wine with a bottle cap. The wine had a distinct aroma and a taste of dark cherries, rasberries and some spice. Definitely not my favorite nor the worst wine that I have sipped.
Just an end to a very interesting and tasty project!

No comments:

Post a Comment