Monday, May 10, 2010

Chenin Blanc-a Noble Grape

"Bees have their queens, wolves have their alpha males, gorillas have their silverbacks, and humans have their royal families. In the grape kingdom, there are nobles, too-at least as interpreted by the human beings who drink the wine made from those grapes. Noble grape varieties (as wine people call them) have the potential to make great-not just good-wine. Every noble grape variety can claim at least one wine region where it is the undisputed king. The wines made from noble grapes on their home turf can be so great that they inspire winemakers in far flung regions to grow the same grape in their own vineyards." (Wine for Dummies) This brings me to my next white grape variety on my list, Chenin Blanc from France's Loire Valley....a classic example of a noble grape. Susanna Griffith at the Walnut Hill Centennial liquor store here in Dallas assisted me with finding a great Chenin Blanc, Domanine de la Taille Aux Loups 2006 Vouvray. This medium bodied wine had a brilliant gold color with a fabulous almond, honey, apricot aroma. Need I say again, how much I love inhaling an aromatic wine! The wine was ideal with Central Market's crab cakes and fresh green beans with toasted almonds. I love Leslie Sbrocco's comment about a Vouvray Chenin Blanc wine in her book Wine for Women, "...it's apt to tingle your taste buds". What an evening for my senses!

No comments:

Post a Comment