Thursday, May 20, 2010

Colombard, Cortese and Corvina

What a treat to discover during a tasting at the Dallas Food and Wine Festival, two of the white grape varieties on my A-Z list. Colombard, a white grape often used in France for distilling into Cognac and Ugni-Blanc also know as Trebbiano, another French white grape variety. Ugni-Blanc can also be found in many Italian white wines. These grapes were blended in a very delightful white wine which was a silver medal winner, Domaine Du Tariquet, Vin de Pays des Cotes de Gascogne 2009. A 3rd generation family winery produced this light, lemony, acidic and very easy to drink wine and it's only $8.99!

The next grape variety on my list is Cortese, a white grape from the Piedmont region of Italy. Of course, when I need to find an Italian wine, I turn to Jimmy's Italian market. The white wine with the Cortese grape, Michele Chiarlo 2008 Gavi was light, fruity and would make a fabulous summer wine and did I love its aroma of fresh peaches! The best way to serve it is chilled and for dinner I paired it with bowtie pasta tossed in a creamy basil pesto and for dessert....peach pound cake! My oh My!

Next is the Corvina grape, an Italian red grape variety blended with two other red grapes, Rondinella and Molinara in a 2007 Fabiano Valpolicella. This light bodied wine with a hint of tart cherries was a good pairing with rigatoni pasta tossed with roasted asparagus, cherry tomatoes, shallots and mushrooms. I discovered this wine at a hidden treasure in Dallas called La Cave Warehouse. (http://www.lacavewarehouse.com/) What a find! I am so impressed with their wine selections, temperature control and Gabe.... who is extremely knowledgeable on wines with great customer service. Every time I enter La Cave, I feel that I am taking a trip around the world in first class.

No comments:

Post a Comment