Saturday, May 1, 2010

Dinner at Julie's

One of my favorite dining spots is at my dear friend Julie's home. Not only is she an incredible cook but great wine and colorful conversations always flow. I never pass up an invitation to her house! She is always so good at last minute get-togethers and one particular night she called and invited me to join her for an evening of wine and cannelloni. I was out the door before we could hang up the phone! Julie, Hal and I began the evening by sipping a 2007 Chateau Millegrand Mourral while munching on a very tasty Coastal English white cheddar cheese. This delightful wine is a blend of 3 grapes that are handpicked from 60 year old vines in the Minervois appellation of France; 20% Grenache, 40% Carignan and 40% Syrah. I loved its aromas of dark ripe fruits, spices, herbs and a hint of licorice.

Over dinner we enjoyed a bottle of an Italian 2007 Antica Vigna which is a blend of these grapes: 50% Negroamaro, 30% Lambrusco and 20% Anglianico. The deep flavors of the wine are a result of the age of the vines -50 years (I try to remind myself that aging can be a good thing). This richly flavored wine was the "ticket" when served with Julie's sister-in-law's mouthwatering cannelloni recipe and a green salad tossed with Girard Champagne dressing. I can't begin to describe the magic of these food and wine combinations and then to top it off, Julie served a lemon cheese cake with raspberries. Can it get any better? What a delicious evening-did I mention that Julie wore a red hair piece? Stay tuned for more "richly flavored" evenings!










No comments:

Post a Comment